Ghelmer (alternatively spelled Gelmer) was a large sadistic water demon from the original Devilman manga. He was capable of controlling water as well as fusing with it, making him largely invulnerable to damage. He was one of the two demons summoned by the demoness Sirene to cause chaos.
Ghelmer was a large lean demon with vaguely reptillian qualities. He had long spindly limbs with long clawed fingers and a skeletal figure which typically stood hunched over. His most notable features were a long neck, protruding lower jaw, a rather human-looking nose, pupil-less eyes, and ears resembling large bat wings. Having previously fused with a large slug-like demon, his tail sported four stalk like eyes and a jawed mouth. In most supplemental material, Ghelmer is portrayed as having either a blue or purple color scheme. Ghelmer's blood is purple.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Ghelmer could manipulate water as well as fuse with it, meaning any physical attacks would be useless against him. He could also travel through mirrors, but this may have been due to condensation. However when dry Ghelmer is of little threat in combat.
Ghelmer was an underling and servant to the demoness Sirene. He was slightly perverted as he watched Miki Makimura get nude and waited a while before his initial attack, but this may have just been so she thought she was safe in her surroundings. He had long awaited a battle with the mighty Amon and was happy to finally get a chance to.
Ghelmer was summoned by the beautiful demon Sirene along with the small slime demon Agwel. Sirene summoned him to kill the members of the Makimura family. Agwel went after the parents and Tare, whilst Ghelmer found Miki stripping nude for a bath. He watches her before extending his head out from a mirror and tries to bite her. She slams the door behind her and Ghelmer retracts back into the mirror. Then as Miki is washing in the bath, Gelmer transports himself into the water and watches her bathe for a few minutes before announcing himself and pulls her into the water so he could drown her. Luckily for Miki, Akira smashes through he door and grabs Miki, but not before she drank some of Ghelmers water possessing her. As Akira goes in to the attack, he is attacked by Agwel and he drops Miki whilst carrying her and they are attacked by Agwel. While battling Agwel, the possessed Miki lunges for Akira's throat but he just slaps her out of the way. After killing Agwel he carries Miki up to the Attic were Miki vomits out the water that had possessed her. Ghelmer transports to the attic where the two battle, Akira throws a blanket over Ghelmer head and sets it on fire causing Ghelmer to solidify. Akira then shoves his hand into Ghelmers body and rips his spine out, ripping the demon apart.
- In the Devilman TV series there is a Demon that Ghelmer was a prototype for (or prehaps vice versa) called Geruge that was present in the third episode. There are several similarities between the two especially in design with the main differences being the size and Geruge having wings.
- Ghelmer's name has been translated in many ways, including Gelmer, Gelmar, Geruma, Gerge, Gelmher, Gelge and Gelm.
- He has a cameo alongside Devilman, Agwel, Sirene and several Mazinger Z characters in the Hanappe Bazooka OVA.
- Ghelmer appears on one of the chapter covers of Amon: The Darkside of the Devilman but not in the story itself.
- Ghelmer briefly appeares in the Man with a Mission music video "When the Devil Rises".