Mazinger is a Super Robot media franchise created by Go Nagai and Dynamic Productions. It was the first Mecha manga and anime to feature the internally piloted robot theme, as well as the acts of calling out names, and the pilot and robot acting like a single unit. Along with Devilman, Cutey Honey, and Getter Robo it is one of Dynamic Productions most popular series.
Most series in the Mazinger franchise follow the adventures of Koji Kabuto and different versions of the Super Robot Mazinger Z, a robot said to have the power of a God or a Devil depending on how it was used. Koji fights against threats such as the maniacal Dr. Hell and his Mechanical Beasts, to prevent Dr. Hell from taking over the world.
Other series in the franchise such as Great Mazinger and Grendizer follow a similar formula but with different characters and plot.
Mazinger in DevilmanEdit
As one of Dynamic Pro.'s most popular series, there have been references to Devilman within and out of either franchise. As both series manga and anime were released in 1972 and by the same companies, they were often paired in promotional events, including anniversaries.
- A crossover film, Mazinger Z vs Devilman featured the anime versions of both Mazinger and Devilman that was about a team-up between Koji and Devilman against the alliance between Dr. Hell and Sirene.
- An episode of Devilman Lady featured Andrus building a Chogokin model of the Mazinger Z.
- The Devilman Lady manga showed a toy store with models of Mazinger Z
- A manga by Team-Moon, Devilman vs. Hades features Devilman traveling through the underworld before encountering the Emperor of Darkness, a major villain from the Great Mazinger manga and anime as well as Dr. Hell.
- Many of the demons, Devilman, and the Makimura family from the anime series appear in Mazinger Angels vs Devilman.
- Many Mazinger characters are seen in the crossover manga Dynamic Heroes.
- There is also the anime series CB Chara Go Nagai World which has several Mazinger Z characters present.
For more info on Mazinger Z check out the Mazinger Wiki.